Friday, June 19, 2020

Forms 2

I am going to write an alternative history of forms and see where it goes, so that there is a difference but an entanglement between the blog posts. It feels funny to be blogging again. I still miss the Big Bid it was good as there was so much there that seeped into the projects but it was like Life writing and a diary. I liked the way you called it Dairy and Alice's picture was the header.

So here are some thoughts:

The Ghazal is one of the central forms in Arabic Poetry. It originated in Persia and Flourishes in Urdu (from the Little Book on Form Hass 2017: 41)
I think when I think about form I start with Writing in the Home and in the Street, and the way the girls wrote stories that were then re-storied as oral stories. Not just How to Drown a Blondie and Bloody Boots but the Magic Seeds. Traces of Twilight and the Oxford Reading Tree and Horror Movies. The form as something, like Fornite and Tic Toc, that floats in the sea of school.

I am happy today as I think our Odd article was good and it went in. The form of the article is something to reflect on - we needed the Hundreds in order to write our separate section and the children needed the film form to do their commentaries as research. I feel we did a really good job there to disentangle form and separate it out but also take it seriously.

In Writing in the Home and in the Street Richard talked alot about the East Herringthorpe walks he did with you. He didn't pay as much attention to the children's walks. I remember doing these with Robin and the teachers. Back then, Robin was saving Rotherham, now we are saving him. It is very satisfying to think he will join ESRI this year, it feels like we are growing.

I am going off. Language as Talisman was good for me as it solidified research-in-a-school and I got a Welsh Neon saying Keywords out of it although that was artists.
Some questions:
What happens when you muddle form?
is form important or is it secondary to meaning?
Do we never get rid of our primary forms (me poetry, you sculpture?
Is it about function and meaning (Kate Genever's question)

I put the Ghazal in as I was thinking of when I worked on Writing in the Home and in the Street one of the women in the study told me about her grandfather who wrote poetry about partition. She was interesting about the Ghazal as a form.

1 comment:

  1. I think that form is or suggests something integral - the binding of things together from the inside. I think that at times the form is imposed from the outside or the outside constructs it - academic writing - white cube galleries - the Japanese No play - opera. These are strong forms that hold disparate things together through a form of structuring. We played with form on our projects - poetry - fine art - film - ethnography - perhaps literacy studies - we to an extent assaulted and broke down forms. This is a punk aesthetic - the Zine - an element of anarchy and disrespect of forms. But then we switch and all of a sudden take them seriously and wonder why we don't get taken seriously. We undercut ourselves and this makes our position unsafe.

    ReplyDelete